Through Mark Perry I found a website that contains old Christmas catalogues - Wishbookweb.com. I have been having a great deal of fun looking through the 1976 JC Penney catalogue. It is rather eye-opening to see what products are in there (and at what prices) and to think about all the products that simply were not available in 1976. A few personal hilights:
- A $20 calculator with less features than a current dollar store model.
- I would run out and buy this bass guitar tomorrow if it were still for sale for $60.
- Save $40 on a 12-inch color television - only $259.99! No remote control, but that is a pretty sweet VHF 'fine tuning' knob.
- With this garage door opener you won't get wet getting out of your AMC Matador sedan.
- Having a car stereo that plays MP3s is one thing, but this may be even better.
- I always wanted one of these as a kid. NFL Electric Football! You can even get your choice of teams. LA Rams vs. Houston Oilers, here we come!
- Lime Green Pantsuit! Added bonus: The model looks like she could be Fannie Flagg's kid sister.